Sunday, May 18, 2008

It wants the spotlight

Today marks one month since my diagnosis. A couple of weeks ago, Doug took me to see a movie. About halfway through the film, I suddenly realized that for a few moments, I had forgotten all about having cancer. Of course, as quickly as I made that realization, the bliss of distraction passed. There it was again - staring me right between the eyes while yelling at the top of its lungs. Since that night, I can't remember a moment when it hasn't been present. Cancer isn't content with lurking around behind you. It wants the spotlight. Cancer is a shameless narcissist. It pervades the mind while working feverishly to pervade the body.

Cancer isn't the Great Pervader, though ... it just thinks it is.

The Father spread Himself throughout all my parts - mind, body, and soul - long before He allowed cancer to attack one cell.

This is what He has promised:

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." -2 Corinthians 12:9

And, my response must be:

"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." -2 Corinthians 12:9-10

How comforting it is to know that the power of Christ is greater than the power of cancer ... and greater than the power of what you're facing, as well.

Prayer requests: Continue to pray for my friend Bryan. Check out his webpage on my favorite links to learn more. Also, today I learned that a very dear friend's (Maela Tanigawa) brother is fighting for his life, as well. His name is Jonathan, and he has been hospitalized for 7 weeks battling severe pancreatitis with some very serious complications. Please pray for Jonathan, Maela, and the entire family. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I wanted to let you know that this Sunday morning I am sharing this entry with our adult choir before worship. (By the way, I am directing the choir now!!!) Anyway, we are singing Total Praise in service and you have brought new inspiration to this song for me. "I lift my hands in total praise to you" are some of the words and I will be lifting hands FOR you as I worship. If you are able to watch by internet we have a live feed at
www.newhopeforall.com
I love you
ashley