Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Extra large slice of gratitude

Yesterday, I was walking by the snack bar at Wal-Mart, and it smelled ... perfect. It's amazing what becomes tempting when you suddenly (or gradually) can't have anything you want. I have begun to have more pain in my mouth and neck - not sure if this is due to the recent surgery (probably) or the cancer. Anyway, eating has become more of a challenge. So, when I caught a whiff of all that overly processed goodness (that I wouldn't normally touch with a fireplace poker), I suddenly wanted to eat 6 corn dogs and wash them down with a couple Big Gulps filled to the rim with carbonation. I thought to myself how nice it would be if I could just eat anything I wanted again without thought of the texture, crunch, spice, acidity, or chew-factor. Then, it hit me. I was walking out of that store. I can walk without any pain at all! And, that's not all I can do - I can see and feel and smell and hear and touch and run and jump and think ... but, it has been so long since I've been thankful for being able to do those things specifically. So, the pain in a small part of my body reminded me to be grateful for all the places where I don't have pain or disability. If only I (we) could keep that perspective all the time. Impossible for our small minds, but God loves us just the same.

Make no mistake - I can't wait till I can devour a pizza again, but in the meantime, I'll have to take comfort in knowing ... "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." -Matthew 4:4

And, when I can devour a pizza, I hope I remember to do it with an extra large slice of gratitude.

No comments: