Yesterday's visit was with a general oncologist, Dr. Lisa Gilbert. Just like all the others have been, she was very kind and thorough. Again, it is such a blessing to feel assured that you have been placed into capable, caring hands. She agrees with the other physicians that it is best in my case to have surgery. She thinks surgery will enable me to get back to a normal life more quickly with less negative side effects. However, she is willing to administer chemo if I refuse surgery. She is familiar with the work of the University of Chicago and explained that the treatment there would be similar to chemo and radiation done at Vandy, but the doses would be more aggressive. She stated she would be willing to use their protocol if that was my desire, but she would regard it as overtreating.
At this point, I am almost 100% sure that I will choose surgery. Additionally, I probably won't make the trip to Chicago. I don't expect to hear anything new, and they might even recommend surgery there, as well, since my tumor is considered small. Of course, I am concerned with how surgery will affect my speech and singing, but chemotherapy and radiation could affect it, as well. Surgery seems to offer a better chance for cure and less anxiety over whether or not the cancer has been eradicated. Plus, it might not even affect my speech and singing to a degree noticeable by others (I know God can accomplish this if He so desires).
Please continue to pray for me as I make this decision. I am confident God has orchestrated this all for His and my good, and I know He is leading me. Thank you for your prayers and support.
"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge." -Psalm 62:5-8