Monday, June 2, 2008

Beautiful timing

Saturday night was very difficult in the sleep department. Intense pain woke me frequently, and it seemed impossible to get relief. Sunday, after being up only a few short minutes, I was introduced to chemo's gastroinstestinal personality. This was particularly difficult for a few reasons. First, until yesterday morning, I only remember vomiting twice in my entire life, both as a young child. Therefore, it was a new, scary experience for me. Second, that fear was exacerbated by the knowledge that the experience could be chemo-induced and might only be the first of many, many episodes. Finally, with every violent regurgitation, the pain in my tongue increased tremendously.

This set Sunday off to the creeping start that it would never quite overcome. The combination of nausea and pain medication without significant nutrition left me groggy most of the day. Eventually, I managed to eat some Jello, but that was as substantial as it would get. Thank the Father, I did find a position that I can rest in without getting choked, which allowed me to get about 6 hours of broken, but quality sleep last night. Today is going better. The nausea is somewhat improved. I have eaten some soup already, and I understand a popsicle is on its way shortly.

I will try to share more later, but for now I just wanted to get the details of these last couple of days posted. I am way too sleepy to wax spiritual or philosophical right now - maybe tonight.

Until then, know that I am so grateful for all of you. One thought that keeps returning to me is how desperate it would be to have to suffer this alone. I cannot imagine being without you. Keep your comments on the blog, your messages to family, your voicemails and your emails coming. They mean so much more than I will ever be able to articulate, and they come with such beautiful timing.

May our gracious Father bless all of you today as you have blessed me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daniel... I come to your blog daily to check on you and always wish that I could offer some encouraging words. Your faith and strength is inspiring. Just know that we're praying for you and your words are touching so many! Love, Kim (that would be "photo" in the domino playing world) :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Daniel. We just love you so much. Please know that we're praying and our church is, too. I hate this #$%^! cancer.

Your faith is amazing - it's providing such an example to us. We will continue to pray for your strength as you go through the next eight weeks. We love you, and if there's anything we can do from afar, we will. Thanks for keeping us updated with your blog.

Sara, Jamey, and Sam

Anonymous said...

Daniel,
I really hate that this weekend has been so rough on you. As always, our family is continuously praying. I found another verse for you: Your light shall break forth like the morning, your healing shall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.
Isaiah 58:8
love ya,
Sandy and Jason

Amy said...

I think of you so many times throughout the day and pray continually. I was at a shower for Carolyn on Saturday, and you were our first topic of discussion. I know you have a million friends, and I don't know where you're staying while undergoing treatment, but you're always welcome here.
I gave you a shout-out on my blog, so I'm sure my vast reship will be flocking to your blog.

Anonymous said...

Daniel,
Hang in there brother....as you know, you're not alone in this. You have a lot of people praying for you.
Randy Smith

Anonymous said...

My devotional today started by asking the question - "Are you obsessed by something?" I wonder if checking your blog a million times a day qualifies for being "obsessed"?!?! :)
We are all praying for you constantly. So glad you had a better day today.
Love, T

Anonymous said...

There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about you and pray for you. God will honor you for your faithfulness.

When you started working at CFC I knew there was something special about you. Thank you for being an awesome witness for our Heavenly Father. You have a special gift when it comes to caring for people.

There is a saying that I love, "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." There are so many patients who love and miss you. We are all awaiting your return.

Here is a scripture that was put in my heart for you;
Phi 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I know that our attitude can make all the difference while we are going through storms in life. I am sure that it is also easier said than done. I do encourage you to think on the good report. I am just praising God right now because I know that five years from now you will be cancer free, and you will be caring for patients somewhere. I am not going to think on the negative.

Isa 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper;

Thank you for bringing our office together for prayer in the mornings. Thank you for having me pray for that lady, I know you remember.It was good for me to step out so God could use me. I love you Daniel, just keep fighting. CFC is not the same without you, and we are all praying for you.

Jennifer Scott

Jenny Orth said...

PRESS ON Daniel!!!! You are LOVED!!!
Jenny Orth

Unknown said...

Daniel,

My trip to Nigeria May 20-28 sidetracked me from keeping up but I just finished reading your most recent posts. Know that I love you and I'm praying for you today. God is bringing glory to Himself through your story.

Jeff Runion

Lynnette White said...

Wow.... can I say first off that I love you, love you,love you!!!! You are so amazing. You words are so empowering and inspiring to so many people. You are a blessing. I really learn something from you every day of my life. I want to be like you when I grow up, but we know that I really do not plan on growing up for a while so.... I have a while to figure that out ha!! Anyway... I pray for you daily and I know so many people are. Half of Florida in the big town of LaBelle are praying for you too. Hang in there. nette

Sunny B. Ridings said...

Daniel, Thank you for this blog- what a incredible and difficult journey you are on. My prayers and the prayers of my church are with you. My name is Sunny and I'm the Associate Pastor at First Christian in Livingston. Thanks for writing.

Anonymous said...

Daniel, You are on our prayer lists at church and so many people here ask daily about you. You are definitely in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers.
glenda

Ashlie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that nasty nausea AND vomiting! Yuck! I'm praying for you right now and many times during each day.

**Would it be alright for me to ask for prayer for you on my blog?