Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Strong legs

I know my posts are scarce lately. I apologize for that. The last couple of weeks have been emotional and tiring. I haven't found myself in a mindset conducive to writing very often. I needed to write a short message to you today, though.

First, you must share in the joy that I have only 2 treatments remaining! That's right! On Thursday of this very week, I will receive my last radiation treatment God-willing. Do you have any idea how it feels to go from 33 treatments remaining to 2 treatments remaining?! It feels like such a tremendous blessing from the Father of light, hope, love, and peace. I know that you have prayed to Him on my behalf so many times for help making it through these treatments, and I firmly believe that your prayers have been answered. As difficult as the treatment has been, I cannot accept anything other than mine has been less difficult than it would have been without your petitions to the Father on my behalf. I know this to be true, and I am so grateful.

Doug may have shared this with you in an email, but I must also tell you that I was able to go to church this weekend for the first time in so long. What a sweet time of worship I had! I praise Him for those sweet moments. Oh, if everyone could understand and believe just how real and wonderful He is.

I do have a special request as I transition into the next phase. After treatment ends this week, I will enter into a waiting period of sorts. I will be waiting for side effects to decrease and for my appointment with the surgeon to see if he thinks any surgery is still warranted. I won't have an appointment with him until the end of August. That will be a preliminary examination. Then, about 3 weeks later, I expect to have a CT and more definitive plans to be made. I ask you to pray for my faith to have strong legs. I want to trust Him more than I ever have in my life. That is what this requires and that is what He deserves. I have gone back and forth on what to ask for specifically where surgery is concerned. Certainly, I ask you to pray that none is required for my tongue. At first, my medical common sense wouldn't allow me to ask that none would be required on my neck either (a couple of lymph nodes remain very swollen), but I am trying to remember that if He can create this world, he can shrink my neck even after the treatment has ended. He is the Great Physician, and we must not forget that no matter how much knowledge he entrusts to us. Pray that surgery won't be necessary, but that His will be done and accepted with steadfast faith - not my own.

One more thing I need to tell you today. In typing a response to a message from a friend earlier, I was reminded of something that I have said so many times throughout my life. He has never failed me. He has never failed me. He has never failed me! Truly, He hasn't! He won't now.

He won't fail you either.

Two more prayer requests: Don't forget to pray for Mr. Carroll as he deals with oral cancer of his own. Again, it is in his bone, so it much more involved. He must have all his teeth removed before starting chemo and radiation. You can imagine the prayers for strength that he needs.

Pray for my caregivers at Vanderbilt. Pray that I would be bold in sharing my faith with them during these last few days of treatment.

Verses sent to me by a dear Aunt in a card:

Because he loves me, says the Lord, I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation. -Psalm 91:14-16

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yahoooo!!!! 2 more to go! We have been counting down the days for you too, Daniel. We will continue to pray for you as well.
Love,
Sandy

Mom2rayray&colten said...

You are right about not understanding the impact of having to indure so many treatments and being down to the last two. WOW!! I'm so excited for you and glad to hear you were able to go to church last weekend. I will pray for that more often. Just being able to walk into the house of the Lord and feeling His spirit around you and worshiping Him can do so much for the soul.
We will continue to pray for your total healing even though the treatments are done. I know if it be His will the Lord can do that.
I can't express how PROUD I am of you in all of this too... I know that may sound weird in a time like this but that is how I'm feeling so I thought I would share it with you. You are a strong spirit of the Lord, Daniel and in times like these not many could have stood strong as you have. I praise God for that. He is to be Glorified!!

Keep up the fight!
Love,
MUH

JenP said...

Daniel, I continue to pray. I rejoice with you that only 2 treatments remain. I am so glad you are looking back at the 31 others! I hope that there are things today that bring a smile to your face.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Your legs and long and strong my friend! I am still praying and declaring COMPLETE healing over you. Our Lord is ALL powerful and has a great plan for your life! Hold on for the ride!
I love you
ashley

CCC said...

I'm SO glad you've only got 2 more to go!!! YEA!!! Praise God!

Last week in church, we sang Great is Thy Faithfulness. I've always loved singing that hymn, but when I sang it last week the words "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow" seemed to resonate with me.

I feel like those words ring true for several people in my life (me too) right now. So, that's my prayer for you friend - that you have strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow!

And soon you'll be able to sing those words again I just know it!!!

Much love Daniel,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Daniel,

Wow, praise His name! I pray that you have now completed your radiation treatments. I have watched from a far your journey. Your faith has truly been an inspiration to me.

Prayer works (as you well know). I was on a long trip this past week from Oklahoma City, and my wife and I were listening to a sermon which contained references to James 5:13-16, and I thought I would share it now:

James 5:13-16 (NIV)

13Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. 14Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

The power of effective and sincere prayer is AMAZING! I know of the healing of the son of one of our church members from Gastric Adeoncarcinoma or stomach cancer; Stage 4 as the cancer had spread to his liver. Truly a miracle.

Keep up the faith in the Lord and all of the grace that He provides. You are in my daily prayers!

Yours in Christ,

Richard

Anonymous said...

Way to go Daniel! We can not tell you how very proud we are of you and of the testimony that you are to so many people. You have reached people that you will not even realize until we are all together in eternity. Your MS family continues to pray for you daily and we pray for your complete healing. We pray that this is the will of the Lord. I am so thankful that you were able to attend services!! I really do know how much that had to mean to you as I have had to miss in the past and it is so hard. The week does not go right for me without that fellowship in HIS house. I am late in posting so it appears you should have finished those last two treatments by now! PRAISE THE LORD!! I pray that you will have those " strong legs " that you will need to carry you thru this month of waiting. You have come so far and I know that by faith you will continue on... Remember you are in our prayers.. Much love,
Tammy and family